Tuesday 16 December 2008

This is the Greatest and Best Arguement in the World

Tuesday 16 December 2008

I'm not a fan of Dr Who, I never have been. I've always considered it to be inferior to most of the shows I watch. This belief of mine fuelled and debate with a friend of mine quite recently on Facebook. I think it's an alright read.

For the privacy of those involved, the name codes featured on the blogs of Rae Charles and Agent M/ Auntie Mina will be used. This argument is between myself (Super Saph) and Agent M/ Auntie Mina.

Super Saph: You were watching Dr Who?

Agent M: Yup

Super Saph: NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!

Agent M: If you're gonna criticise Dr who, I'm gonna catch a case with you

Super Saph: Bring it!

Agent M: NERD ALERT? There is nothing nerdy about watching Dr who it is a very intellectual program. So u wanna start a war? Don't make me get the Dr's screw driver

Super S: Sorry, I laughed so hard I forgot to breath

Agent M: WHAT? Are you mocking me and Dr who? Buffy does not even measure up to Dr who. Buffy is below there while Dr who is wayyy up there (Context: a previous phone conversation featured me talking about the awesomeness that is Buffy)

Super Saph: You know what? I will watch the highest rated episode of Dr who and then write an ESSAY about why it is not better than the best episode of Buffy

Agent M: Fine, I know you would not write more than 6 words, Dr who is better than Buffy

Agent M's status update: Dr. Who was great ( I got a double bill) [Super Saph] please find it in your heart to STOP hating.

Super Saph: Oh please! How long have you been a Dr Who fan? I really didn't know this

Agent M: Since the middle of last year, but it wasn't as great as it is now, I got really into it the beginning of this year

Super Saph: Nerd! One of us! One of us! Gobble, gobble, one of us!

Agent M: I am not a nerd, NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In response to the status update

Super Saph: I think you should realise that I haven't said one bad thing about Dr Who. All I said saw that it's a nerdy show, that's not an insult, most shows that have developed cult status such as Dr Who, Star Trek, Buffy and Freak and Geeks have done so because of their nerd following, there's nothing wrong with that. On a side note, Dr Who pales in comparison to Star Trek, Star Trek, Buffy and Freaks and Geeks, Battlestar Galactica and most other cult shows - there's my insult

Agent M: It is SOOOO much better than those crappy shows you just mentioned. How can you say that it pales in comparison? At least Dr who has variety he is a time lord who travels through time those crappy ones always do the same thing over and over again. I mean don't the ppl of battle whatever get out of the spaceship for some air gosh. Anyway as I said Dr. Who is of great intelligence and i would love to one day become one of his accomplices (wow i should have written that in my personal statement)

The Bear: Ok sapphire

Agent M: And Saph, watching Dr Who does not make you a nerd. It makes you an interesting person. Watching battle star whatever on the other hand makes you the king or queen of Nerdom (new country)

E.G: Dr. Who is pooo

Agent M: E.G we are no longer friends loooooooooool

Bay Leaf: All the shows u mentioned are crap!! lmao!! Accept it! Write that on ur personal statement Mina lol!

E.G: Awwww mini, I'm sorry but it is the truth it is a boring old granny programme, sept my nanny does not even like it HAHAHAHAH, get in to PRISON BREAK, its on tonight 10.00 on sky one, its the BESTTTT WOOOOO, Love You MiNIE X X XX XX X X X X

Jimi: Dr who is wank, Heroes is the shit

Agent M: E.G prison break is dead now. I mean they are out of prison now so why is it still on? Wasn't the whole concept to get out of prison. We want a new show. Next, and trust me when i say your granny records it and watches it when u guys are not there.
Leanne kiss my arse, even tho your comment made me laugh.
Jimi, Heroes is the shit but dr who is not wank. YOU ARE!

Bay Leaf: The best shows of this century are Heroes and desperate housewives

Agent M: I bet all of you who are condemning Dr. Who would love a ride in his Tardis.

Super Saph: And now for my comeback;
Not one of the television shows I have mentioned does the same thing repeatedly unlike the "alien of the week" series Dr Who. This is something Star Trek used to do back in 1966, it has grown out of this since then. Dr Who however, is older than Star Trek and is yet to learn, what does that say? Back to the "same thing" issue, Battlestar Galactica had a complete change in the structure and subject of the show between the original series and the new one and there is a new theme and various story arcs between each season. Freaks and Geeks did something new with each episode (it's not a Sci-Fi show). Buffy is another show that constantly changed, the same thing never happened repeatedly. And, for the record, the people often get out of their ships in Star Trek and Star Trek: DS9 wasn’t even set on a ship. Watching a TV show, regardless of what it is (except QI of course), does not make you an interesting person. What is interesting is the extent to which you can analyse and find deeper meanings with television shows. You used Battlestar as an example so I'll go with that. Battlestar Galactica is not just about people in space, very few Sci-Fi shows are. Battlestar Galactica hosts a range of philosophical issues and when it boils down to it, it about religion and faith. Mina, the fact that you have taken what I have said so seriously, and have argued so much serves only to prove that you are indeed a nerd, get over it.

Bay Leaf: Sorry Mina, Sapphire kicked ur arse!! Lol

Agent M: You mean Buffy does not always fight vampires? Really Saph?.
Alien of the week. Yeah, because they are always trying to destroy the earth and Dr. who is always trying to save it. And he doesn't even get a thank - you from doing so.
Battlestar Galactica IS a show about ppl or aliens whatever in space. Every time I'm channel surfing they are always in the ship thingy controlling something. Philosophical issues like what: 'The controls are down, we are finally going to die'. Or 'We are heading in to an astroid belt and there's nothing we can do about it'. At least Dr. Who's Tardis locks on to the nearest center of gravity.
Maybe faith, but religion?
Dr. Who is such a good story. It shows how one man just wants to bring peace everywhere by fighting intergalactic forces that are evil. And he saves the Earth so many times.
AND I AM NOT A NERD (I have been called that this and last week due to various reasons and i'd like to say I so am not)

Agent M: Bay Leaf before you make your little comments read the next piece you cow monkey fish

Bay Leaf: she still won but it was close, u were funny though.

Agent M: Kiss my arse Bay Leaf. Ain't no competition anyway. its a matter of opinions

Bay Leaf: Well, sapp had a stronger opinion, Dr Who is 4 kids and grannys who don't know any better lol!

Super Saph: Mina, something is becoming increasingly clear to me and that is that YOU HAVE NEVER WATCHED ANY OF THE TV SHOWS I AM TAKING ABOUT! No Buffy doesn't just fight vampires:
Seasons 1 & 2-vampires and demons
Season 3- the mayor
Season 4- a kinematically redundant, bio-mechanical demonoid
Season 5- a god
Season 6- a witch (also serving as an exploration... Read More of addiction)
Season 7-the source of all evil
You have proved me right, I quote you, "Alien of the week. yeah. because they are always trying to destroy the earth and Dr. who is always trying to save it." This is highly simplistic - every show I mentioned is more complex than this, and the fact you haven't said that the Dr Who has any duality proves me right. Science fiction is not supposed to be simplistic, it always serves more than 1 purpose. Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said, "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Star Trek was made to confront issues surrounding racism, Battlestar was designed to talk about religion and terrorism, Buffy is technically about the trials an tribulations faced when growing up.
Mina, faith and religion go hand in hand. Battlestar Galactica is essentially about the opposing beliefs of monotheism and polytheism. Battlestar focuses on many issues such as what make us human and whether religion should be trusted or followed. Tell me, does Dr Who have any such issues? Also, there are NO aliens in Battlestar Galactica.
Seriously though Mina, have you watched any of the TV shows you are taking about?

Agent M: So who is Battlestar for? Ppl that don't have friends? Surely not coz saph watches it and she has friends so don't be ignorant, William watches Dr Who, Liradonna too.

Bay Leaf: WILL THIS EVER END??

Super Saph: Never!!!!!!!! This argument is going in my blog

Agent M: I see. But Dr. who does have such issues. like todays episode. A species divided into 2 that started fighting each other. they were created by the same being "the creator" but they still fight and they were trying to get to the temple to get the new world solution (long story) but there are such issues. And Dr Who's daughter even dies because of the beef (yes he did have a daughter).
If there not any aliens then the beings sure do look like aliens or is that star trek (excuse my ignorance).
Saph believe me when i say i have tried. Those half terms back in the day, when there was nothing to do during the day so you watch day time TV, Battlestar, star trek and buffy was on. I don't know if they we on during the same period but i have tried and then i get bored or disinterested (so i used to watch charmed, will and grace and maury instead hehehe)

Agent M: It is not an argument. it's a difference of opinions. Arguments make it sound like beef. we are just trying to say why our shows are great.

Super Saph: Hmmm, your example sounds like an analogy for conflict within mankind. Dr Who may actually have duality, touche. Give me more examples like that and perhaps I shall respect it more.
Really, there are no aliens in Battlestar.
Battlestar isn't daytime TV. It can't come on before the watershed. Can we conclude that you don't know what you're talking about, only joking. Can we conclude that as you have never managed to get through these shows, you're not really in the position to say certain things about them. You can't judge a show you've never watched, believe it or not, I've watched episodes of Dr Who, I wouldn't speak ill of it if I hadn't.
Is this the end of this chapter?

Agent M: Nope.
What is the point of watching the end of something you don't have interest in? If i lose interest in the middle of it there's no point in finishing it because there's gonna be the same outcome. It has to grip me from beginning throughout the middle and then to the end. So whats the point of wasting time when I could watch something else?
Oooo there was a Jane Austin episode. That was good, in fact they are going to show it 2moro again but I'm going to bed now. Because of this i have hardly done any learning (I did some while watching the good dr)

Agent M: Sorry did I say Jane Austin. I meant Agatha Christie!

Super Saph: As I said before, I can tell which episode would be the best for you to watch.
"what is the point of watching the end of something you don't have interest in." I'll answer that with the following "How can you judge something that you haven't seen" - This is what this argument has come down to. You cannot conclude that the shows I have mentioned are bad as you haven't watched them. Can you acknowledge this?

This concludes the argument thus far, jolly good stuff

0 comments:

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates