Saturday 28 June 2008

Leave civilisation and embrace nature?

Saturday 28 June 2008
Today, I watched the Sean Penn film, Into the Wild. Essentially, it’s about a young man(Christopher McCandless later Alexander super tramp) who, tired of the hypocrisy and focus of material “things” around him, decides to give the $24,000 of his savings to charity, and travels to Alaska. This led to me to ponder, would I be willing to leave the civilised, concrete jungle of London, to travel without unnecessary possessions and live in the wilderness? 

Why I wouldn’t
My immediate response would be no. I like films, I like music, I like my creature comforts. I appreciate what I have, and honestly, I’m not sure what I’d do without them. So many times if I’m felling low, indifferent, sad (or happy for that matter), I throw on a good DVD to enhance my mood. It doesn’t matter how many times I’ve seen a film or how ludicrous the storyline may appear to be (yes, I accept that The Goonies has a ludicrous storyline) but if I’m feeling low, I like to watch something where I know everything will be alright even if life might not be. Plus, I like having a roof over my head and knowing where my next meal will come from.

Why I might consider it
Often, I wish I was a bit more free. I understand that there are many places on this planet that I am yet to explore or even hear about. I find it admirable that people go on quests and discover new things about the world as well as themselves. It’s exciting, that’s what it is. I lead a highly uneventful life, I nearly always know what is going to happen and it is because of that that a venture such as leaving my life behind stating anew is somewhat welcoming.

That’s it I guess.

0 comments:

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates