Thursday 17 April 2008

Waterworld, Happy-Go-Lucky and the week that was

Thursday 17 April 2008
The time things actually occur in my life that are somewhat blog worthy, I’m not bothered to write in my blog. That’s so like me.

Saturday: Waterworld (Not the Kevin Costner Movie)
It’s Saturday morning and as usual, I tidy up my kitchen. My copy of A Room For Romeo Brass was delivered that morning so I was watching (but mainly listening to) it as I tidied up. My sister came downstairs and started to watch TV. I’m easily distracted, well, I like to deviate from what I’m meant to be doing, so I watched TV with her for about 40 minutes. I then went to continue with the kitchen. As I made my way there I heard the sound of water trickling, it was coming from out laundry room. I looked in there and what did I see? A whole wall and part of the ceiling was pouring down with water, my first response? “Krystal, there water coming from the light bulb!”, which it was. She immediately rang my brother because, come on, water+electricity=nothing good. It turns out that she left the bath running. Think about this. She came downstairs, some time later I watched TV with her for 40 minutes, all this time the bath was running.

Photobucket

My sister just kept panicking and for one of the first times on my life, I was the cool one. I assessed the situation and said what needed to be done. She asked me why I was so calm, I didn’t say this at the time but I think it’s because I was secure in the knowledge that it wasn’t my fault. Probably two hours later, we finished the superficial aspects of restoring the house. As a safety precaution, we didn’t turn on the electricity in the laundry room. My sister kept asking whether turning on any of the electricity (we’re talking about the whole house now) would cause an explosion. Feel free to correct me, but from the little knowledge of physics (GCSE Double Science) I have, I’m quite sure that’s not the reaction you would get from water and electricity. Water conducts electricity so I think you’re more likely to have a surge of electricity.

The house is okay now, the light fitting had to be removed but…that’s about it.

Wednesday: Happy-Go-Lucky

Being the film nerd I am (I’ve written that so many times), I’m subscribed to the mailing lists for all the picturehouses in London, and one on Brighton. A few weeks ago, I got an email about a preview for film called Happy-Go-Lucky with a Q&A with the director, Mike Leigh. This was very exciting to me because:
a) It’s a preview, I’ve never been to a preview before. I was going to go to a preview of Deathproof earlier in the year with a Q&A with Quentin Tarantino but, obviously, Deathproof was rated 18 (damn you BBFC) preventing me from seeing it.
b) Happy-Go-Lucky is a Film Four film. They tend to be quite good. I believe their flagship film last year was This Is England, and I’m trying my best not to go off on a tangent about how great that was. Read my review instead.
C) I had heard of it. I’d seen the adverts for it on Film Four. It didn’t look that great from the ads but then again, neither did This is England.

Anyhoo, Happy-Go-Lucky was great. I was in tears laughing but as it progressed the film became a bit more complex. Let’s just say, my reactions were like this.


I’ve haven’t achieved that much academically this week. I had one piece of work to do during the holidays which I haven’t even thought about starting. I plan to do it tomorrow. My brother fixed my bike, well, me gave me his, so I may ride it up to the library tomorrow. Let’s see if I do.

I downloaded a 30 day trial of Adobe Illustrator (mainly so I could do pictures that resembled A Scanner Darkly), it’s been fun. It’s also allowed me to do my stick man doodles digitally. Good times.

0 comments:

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates